Saturday 30 April 2011

"...a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and a fez!"

Doctor Who: The Impossible Astronaut

Wow. Just, wow. I might not be capable of writing a coherent review for this episode that isn't just comprised of  "AWESOME" and "holy gods!" and "WTF WAS THAT?!". 

*deep breath*

Review, and spoilers under the jump...




First of all, I forgot how much I missed it. The rapid-fire dialogue, the humour, the thrills, the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey CONFUSING AS ALL HELL bits, the scariness, the weird foreshadowing that makes no sense at the moment...Steven Moffat, is without doubt, a genius. An insane genius, yes, but genius nonetheless.

Soo...my thoughts:
  • "I wear a Stetson now. Stetsons are cool."
  • River shoots the Stetson off the Doctor's head. Epic win for River.
  •  Jim the Fish sounds extremely irrelevant but extremely interesting. I hope he turns up in a future episode.
  • Just when things are looking vaguely normal-ish, the Moffmeister Insanity Factor Kicks in, in the form of an astronaut rising out of a lake and killing the Doctor. FOR REAL. He just sort of lasers him, and everyone's screaming and the Doc starts to regenerate but the Astronaut shoots him again and he falls over. He's dead. He's actually dead. I'm not sure whether to cry or scream, because it's freaking Doctor Who! It's not like Taggart! The show can't carry on if the main character is dead.
  • The Silents are creepy. I made Mum turn the lights off in the living room to make it scarier. They're just...scary. Especially how you forget them as soon as you see them.
  • The Tardis from The Lodger came back! I knew it was too Macguffin-y to be an unexplained one-off. (Yes, I did just use the word Macguffin-y. My Media teacher would be proud)
  • River and the Doctor = a bucketload of UST. To quote my friend, 'They had a sex joke in there! More than once!'
  • Amy's pregnant. But we reckon it's a false alarm, because she had those stomach pains, but River had them too after seeing the Silents. Unless River's preggers too.
  • The little girl making the phone calls to the President was in the spacesuit! Why is she in a spacesuit? Did she kill the Doctor? Who on Earth is she?
  • Amy shot the little girl, because she killed the Doctor. Then the episode ended and we have to wait another 7 WHOLE DAYS to find out what happens, unless I look up the spoilers on the internet. But I'm not going to, because I'm strong. *twitches slightly*
So...confusing-ness? Check. Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey? Check. Dramatic cliffhanger? Check. Oh, Moffmeister, you ingenius, evil man. I cant wait to see what happens next!

Ciao,
Z

No comments:

Post a Comment